Title: Spring 2023 Student Technician
Position Type: Student
Search Type: External - minimum 7 days
Department: 77R000 - University Housing
Division: 5R0000 - Student Success,Opportunity&Engage
Position Location: Richmond Campus
Driver Classification: Driver
Contact Person: Dave Scott
Job Summary/Basic Functions
EKU Housing & Residence Life fosters the development, engagement, and success of our residential community by providing an inclusive home that enhances the collegiate experience.
The Student Housing Technician serves as an integral component of the EKU Housing & Residence Life facilities maintenance operation. Working in a student residential facilities, the Student Housing Technician will:
• Work up to 20 hours/week during an academic semester and may work up 29 hours/week depending on academic course load during break periods. These hours will include some nights and weekends as related to openings and closings of residence halls.
• Directly report to the Assistant Director for Facility Operations or their designee.
• Uphold and follow EKU Housing & Residence Life department mission, vision, and values.
• Follow university operational guidelines including but not limited to COVID-19 procedures.
• Follow all safety guidelines and practices issued by the university including fit testing for gear.
• Wear safety materials and gear as directed by the university.
• Assist with the upkeep and cleaning of departmental golf carts and vehicles.
• Assist with inventory and delivery of departmental stock and equipment.
• Relocate furniture and equipment.
• Input work requests to EKU Facilities Management, EKU Information Technology and third party vendors as needed.
• Complete a variety of work orders in a timely manner in many areas of a residence hall including student rooms.
• Work with campus partners to address department needs and tasks.
• Assist with the maintenance of residence facility HVAC units by cleaning units and changing filters on a regular basis.
• Conduct regular maintenance walks of buildings to assess physical condition and maintenance needs.
• Assist with the development and implementation of special projects related to departmental maintenance.
• Replace electrical outlet covers and switch covers.
• Replace room door fire pins.
• Conduct repairs on room furniture.
• Paint and repair walls and spaces in student housing facilities.
• Repair and replace carpet in student housing facilities.
• Replace and hang signage, stickers, decals, placards, labels, etc. for the residence halls.
• Hang pictures and wall mounted equipment such as boards and electronics as needed.
• Repair or replace wall fixtures including but not limited to toilet paper holders, towel bars, towel racks, shelving assembly, etc.
• Assist in departmental preparations for new student and returning student move-in days.
• Attend all trainings and developments.
• Be able to work independently or as part of a team to complete daily tasks.
• Possess strong communication and organization skills.
• Must able to lift 50 pounds overhead.
• Perform administrative duties as assigned.
• Complete other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director for Facility Operations or their designee.
Sponsorship: Visa sponsorship will be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending upon the needs of the unit, available sponsorship budget, and the qualifications of the candidate.
Eastern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and educational institution and does not discriminate on the basis of age (40 and over), race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, ethnicity, disability, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information in the admission to, or participation in, any educational program or activity (e.g., athletics, academics and housing) which it conducts or any employment policy or practice.
Background Check Statement
Offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory background check.